Tuesday, March 7, 2017

How to use Cloud Explorer with Scality S3 server

https://www.linux-toys.com/?p=945

I spent a few weeks searching for an open-source S3 server that I can run at home to test Cloud Explorer. I first came across Minio which is an open-source S3 server but I could not get it to work with Cloud Explorer because it had issues resolving bucket names via DNS which is a requirement using the AWS SDK. I then read an article about Scality releasing an open-source S3 server that you can run inside a Docker image. I was able to get Scality up and running quickly with little effort. In this post, I will explain how I got the Scality S3 server setup and how to use it with Cloud Explorer.
First, I needed to run the Scality Docker image which was a simple one-liner:
docker run -d --name s3server -p 8000:8000 scality/s3server
view raw cloud explorer hosted with by GitHub
Next, I needed to modify /etc/hosts on my laptop to resolve buckets properly with Cloud Explorer. By default, the Scality Docker image resolves to localhost which can be changed. I appended the bucket names that I will use for this test (test and test2) to the localhost entry in /etc/hosts.
127.0.0.1 localhost test.localhost test2.localhost
view raw hosts hosted with by GitHub

Now I can configure the Scality S3 credentials in Cloud Explorer as shown below. I used the default Access and Secret keys by the Docker image.


Now Let’s create a bucket:


And there it is!


Let’s upload a file to make sure it works:


The file is there!


Now let’s run a performance test just for fun:

It was really cool that Scality released this as open-source. Not all of the Amazon S3 features are supported by Scality such as file versioning and others but I hope that this project continues to be worked on and gains community involvement.  After using this for a while, I put the S3 server into production for this site. All of the images that you see for this post are hosted by the S3 server inside a Docker image. Please check it out and let me know how you like Cloud Explorer. Please file any bugs on the GitHub issue tracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment